This is what I recommend for personal electronic security in the US in 2018.
- Use the one best product for a particular function,
- Phone: iPhone
- Desktop or laptop: Mac
- Email: Gmail
- Web browser: Chrome with uBlock Origin ad-blocking
- Evaluate each for possible replacement every 2-3 years,
- Enable automatic software updates,
- Use web-based services (do use Google Drive or Office365) rather than locally-installed software (don’t use Microsoft Office) whenever feasible,
- Uninstall all Adobe software if possible,
- (At least, uninstall Flash and Acrobat.)
- Use ad-blockers,
- (Ublock Origin on Chrome, and Purify on iPhone)
- Use junk call screening,
- Use multi-factor (AKA two-factor) authentication everywhere possible - especially at important service providers,
- Use a password manager,
- Back up your data,
- (Backblaze, and keep a paper copy of critical passwords in a sealed envelope in a home safe, or your credit union’s safe deposit box)
- Be skeptical when you receive alarming messages about money and passwords,
- And always ensure your software is up to date.
The full document is also available.